Sikkim flash floods: No less than 14 lifeless, over 100 lacking as cloudburst-led catastrophe wreaks havoc in state

-


Image Source : PTI A flood affected the locality at Singtam in Gangtok district

As many as 14 folks died and 120 others, together with 22 military personnel, went lacking after flash floods wreaked havoc in Sikkim on Wednesday. According to officers, a cloudburst over Lhonak Lake led to the flash flood within the Teesta River basin which ultimately become a deadly catastrophe. The flood in Sikkim that began round 1.30 am was made worse by the discharge of water from Chungthang dam, they added. They additional said that round 200 folks have been rescued up to now, together with a military soldier. 

Defence institutions, bridges affected

The launch of water from the Chungthang dam led to a sudden improve in water ranges as much as 15-20 ft excessive downstream. Meanwhile, Defence officers stated institutions alongside the valley have been affected. Earlier on Wednesday, A metal bridge at Singtam, also called Indreni bridge, in Gangtok district has been fully washed away by Teesta river water. The 120-metre-cable suspension bridge is a vital route over the Teesta River.

CM urges folks to stay vigilant

Following the catastrophe, Chief Minister PS Tamang visited Singtam to evaluate the harm attributable to the flash flood within the Teesta River basin. He additionally held a gathering with senior officers on the Singtam Nagar Panchayat workplace and requested them to maintain vigil. “Emergency services have been mobilized to the affected areas, and I personally visited Singtam to assess the damages and engage with the local community,” he wrote on ‘X’ (previously often known as Twitter). The Chief Minister additionally urged all our residents to stay vigilant and chorus from pointless journey throughout this essential time. “It is essential that we maintain composure and hope for a swift return to normalcy in our region,” CM Tamang added. 

Cabinet Secretary opinions scenario

Meanwhile, Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Gauba additionally reviewed the reduction and rescue measures of the Central businesses and the federal government of Sikkim. He emphasised that the evacuation of individuals stranded within the tunnel of Chungthang dam and vacationers could also be taken up on a precedence foundation. Gauba’s instructions got here whereas chairing the National Crisis Management Committee (NCMC) assembly.

“Reviewing relief and rescue measures of the Central Agencies and Government of Sikkim in NCMC meeting, Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Gauba emphasized that the evacuation of people stranded in the tunnel of Chungthang dam and tourists may be taken up on priority basis,” said Cabinet Secretariat in a press release. The Cabinet Secretary additional noticed that further groups of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) ought to be deployed and connectivity of street, telecom and energy should be restored within the shortest doable time.

Relief and rescue measures underway

The Chief Secretary of Sikkim joined the assembly by way of video conferencing and apprised the Committee in regards to the newest scenario within the state. He additionally briefed the committee in regards to the efforts of the state authorities in finishing up reduction and rescue measures. Union Home Secretary Ajay Bhalla knowledgeable the Committee that the scenario is being monitored 24×7 by the Central Government on the highest degree.

The NDRF has already deployed three groups and extra groups are on standby in Guwahati and Patna. An satisfactory variety of groups and belongings of the Army and Air Force are being deployed to help the state in rescue and restoration efforts. Earlier within the day, Prime Minister Narendra Modi additionally spoke to Sikkim CM Tamang to take inventory of the scenario within the state and guaranteed him of all doable assist. The Prime Minister additionally prayed for the security and well-being of all these affected.

(With inputs from businesses) 

ALSO READ: Sikkim flash floods: One soldier rescued out of 23 missing army personnel, search operation underway

 

Latest India News





Content Source: www.indiatvnews.com

Related Stories