Home Sports Cricket ECB chief slams county cricket ‘conspiracy idea’

ECB chief slams county cricket ‘conspiracy idea’

ECB chief slams county cricket ‘conspiracy idea’

[ad_1]

England and Wales Cricket Board chief govt Richard Gould has dismissed solutions the governing physique needs to chop any of the 18 first-class counties adrift as a “totally mad conspiracy theory”.

HT Image
HT Image

With the worldwide progress of profitable franchise leagues and their knock-on results on the home schedule, fears have been raised that the ECB would favor a streamlined and cheaper county set-up.

247 I News – your quickest supply for breaking news! Read now.

But Gould, talking on the ECB’s home season launch at The Oval on Tuesday, mentioned there have been no plans to scale back the variety of first-class counties, which has stood at 18 since Durham joined the County Championship in 1992.

“It’s a totally mad conspiracy theory,” mentioned Gould, who contrasted how English soccer and rugby union had seen golf equipment exit of enterprise in recent times with the relative stability of county cricket.

“I’ve been in the game 20-odd years and that conversation has always been around, but we’re the one professional sport that hasn’t lost a club,” he mentioned.

“You look at rugby and football, we’ve done extremely well as a sport to maintain that 100 percent record and that’s where our intent lies.”

The majority of the first-class counties are member-owned golf equipment and Durham chief govt Tim Bostock induced widespread anger by suggesting members had been “Luddites” holding again the progress of the English recreation.

But former Surrey chief govt Gould mentioned: “They are not comments that I would recognise or agree with.

“The depth of our expertise pool, each when it comes to women and men, is our superpower in the meanwhile.”

Gould said the ECB were open to private investment in the Hundred, the board’s eight-team, 100-balls-per-side competition.

“We will work that one by way of our pursuits will not simply be with IPL franchises,” he said.

“We have gotten lots of attention-grabbing sports activities house owners from the States and from this nation.”

However, Gould does not expect the Board of Control for Cricket in India to lift its ban on Indian players appearing in the Hundred and other overseas leagues.

“It’s not one thing that we’re working into our proceedings,” he said. “They have gotten a dominant international place there, they usually wish to attempt and ensure they’ll retain that.

“Indian broadcast money generally follows Indian players. The BCCI and the IPL have just said, ‘No, we want the IPL to be the number one global tournament.

“In order to do this, we have to make it possible for we depend on our strengths which is the dimensions of our market and the standard of our gamers’.”

jdg/smg/jc

This article was generated from an automatic news company feed with out modifications to textual content.

[ad_2]

Content Source: www.hindustantimes.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here